This is one of three mid-20th century buildings in an otherwise exclusively 19th century and very early 20th century area in the historic district. Notable features of this building and site include that persevered as the entrance to the auditorium in the museum is a Federal Doorway with fine sidelights and a fan above, which was salvaged from the James Pumpelly house. A marble fireplace from the Minnie Wade House, the earlier site of the museum, has been preserved in the exhibit room to the right (west as one enters). The historical and architectural importance is that it was built on the site of the first Greek Revival house in Owego (built in 1827 according to an article in the Society’s scrapbook). The museum organization was established in 1914 and opened its new museum, at 110 Front Street in 1960 with many displays of local Indian, military, craft, family and industrial history. In addition to its regular displays, the museum maintains an excellent genealogical file; programs of artistic and cultural appeal are held regularly in the museum auditorium.